Now in internet quite hot topic is “Healthy Work-Life Balance” (In google.com find 6,820,000 articles in theme “Healthy Work-Life Balance” at 19 Now 2010). Other word, which can be used in this context – Wellness (generally used to mean a healthy balance of the mind, body and spirit that results in an overall feeling of well-being).
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being. Interestingly enough, health is not simply defined as just the absence of disease. The actual definition of Healthy Living is the steps, actions and strategies one puts in place to achieve optimum health. Healthy Living is about taking responsibility and making smart health choices for today and for the future. Eating right, getting physically fit, emotional wellness, social and spiritual wellness and prevention are all apart of creating a healthy lifestyle. Since our health, meaning all aspects of ours self, then good work in harmony to achieve wellness, we need to put balanced energy into each aspect of our-self.
If we closely overlook our lives, then we can see here for principal areas or health aspects:
- Physical health – includes wellness of our subtle physical body (network of energy channels, astral, aura, causal, chakras etc) and gross physical, material body in all levels.
- Emotional health – includes wellness of our heart feelings, mood, atmosphere, tone etc in close relationships with most intimate persons in our lives, like mother, father, wife, husband, children, intimate friend, Guru etc.
- Professional health – includes wellness of our intelligence, abilities, talents etc. Fields of activities trout which we receive our live-hood, like our business, job, work, employment, supported services etc.
- Social health – includes wellness of our ego in all levels. Individual spiritual practices and social-religious activities, relationships in the most broadest way, where our relationships are based on interdependence, rather than co-dependence, mutual trust and respect, equity of power and cultural competence.
Now let’s find out question about “balance”. If our lives are not balanced, then we are living like in “fire brigade”. Whenever and wherever is fire, difficult situation, conflict etc, we are putting all our strength, wealth, power etc to recover, fix up, and sort out etc this area. In other word, we are living in permanently increasing stress, axsaity, difficulties running from one area to other with word: “Now this is most argent and most important!” In Figure 1 we can see, in our whole life are only one balanced centre and balanced central area and 16 different and unique misbalance areas, where we can put our time, strength, consciousness etc in misbalanced way. For example, if we putting most of our energy in professional field (area 3), forgetting and scarifying our own physical, emotional, social health, we can one day wind our self with a lot of money, and same time with terrible physical and emotional pains, broken heart, lonely and rejected, discarded etc from sociality. My be we are working very hard in order to enjoy later with family, friend, neighbour etc our fruit, bat in reality in this working process we are lost our ability to enjoy, because physical health now is terrible and pains eat all body a life. We do not give enough time and love for family, friends, sociality etc and now we are broken heart, lonely and rejected, discarded etc by everyone, who we was know. If we generally care for any other area, except healthy balance point, then as laws of nature, we end up in trouble. Other typical anchor point is area 15 in Figure 1. Here our focus is social activities, job and family forgetting about our own self needs and health. My be we can get a lot of friends, respect, deep relationships in family, successful business, but because we do not care in healthy and balanced way about our own self, we quickly burnout and like suddenly collapse with hard attack (Hypertension) or some think like this. In 2001 Hypertension was highest death factor in world and took lives of 7.8 million people.
Stephen R. Covey’s in his book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” was speaking about “Principle centred life”, where we can act in healthy and balanced way, keeping our anchor in healthy balance point, not too much and not too little.
What we require in our Healthy and Balanced life?
- In Physical health aspect, we require on a regular basis Balanced and Healthy eating habits, food and diet, beneficial exercise, adequate relaxations and rest, appropriate weight, and proper stress management.
- In Emotional health aspect, we require on a regular basis self-supportive attitudes, positive thoughts and viewpoints, and a positive self-image. We also need to give and receive forgiveness, love and compassion; we need to laugh and experience happiness; we need joyful relationships with our self and others.
- In Professional health aspect, we require on a regular basis engage our professional abilities and talents in a way, which give individual fulfilment and benefits for others.
- In Social health aspect, we require on a regular basis inner calmness, openness to our creativity, trust in our inner knowing, engage our devotional service desires, and having a relationship with a higher power.
Who to know, if we are experiencing Healthy and Balanced life or not?
Usually we all know when the Physical health goes seriously out of healthy balance. If we openly listen our body, instead of cutting of body feelings, our body tells us right away. We feel fatigue or catch a cold or maybe become chronically ill. Even before that, we can tell our body satle taidnes, if we observe five following symptoms:
1. Good and healthy sound sleep during the night time between 10 pm and 4 am, and not be sleepy during the morning spiritual practices, after meal and during throughout all sunlight day
2. Enthusiastic, poise, healthy and balanced activities during throughout all day, at least between 4 am and 8 pm, and not feel sleepy, discouraged, lamenting, morose, depression etc.
3. Good, healthy and balanced appetite regularly at regulates times – from 1 to 3 times per day, depends on each individuality, and not intake snacks, energizing drinks etc between meals
4. Good and healthy stool one – two time per day from 3 to 7 am, and not constipation and diarrhea
5. Satisfied, content, healthy and balanced state of mind-intelligence and 10 senses – the eyes, ears, nose, tang, skin, voice, legs, hands, anus and genital organs
But how do we know when the Emotional, Professional or Social health go out of Healthy Balance?
The American Holistic Health Association developed the following simple quiz to help identify areas we may need to add to our Healthy and Balanced lifestyle Plan. Here are some questions:
Healthy and Balanced lifestyle or Wellness Quiz:
-Do I wake up with enthusiasm for the day ahead?
-Do I have the high energy you need to do what you want?
-Do I laugh easily and often, especially at myself?
-Do I confidently find solutions for the challenges in our life?
-Do I feel valued and appreciated?
-Do I appreciate others and let them know it?
-Do I have a circle of warm, caring friends?
-Do the choices I make every day get me what I want?
If we answered “yes” quite many of these questions, congratulations! But if we answered “no” to several of them, we have identified areas in our life that we may want to healthy balanced. This can be valuable information. These questions all relate to our emotional and social selves. And to truly define Healthy and Balanced lifestyle for ourselves and create a Healthy and Balanced living strategy it is important that we address the whole self. Each and every of us can gradually learn and develop Healthy and Balanced Lifestyle. Just for that, we need to find someone or some group, where we can learn and get emotional and practical training and support for Healthy and Balanced Lifestyle.
Each of us can live Healthy and Balanced lifestyle!
Let us see, what practically and gradually can be done in our real lives.
As we renew our self in each of the four areas, we create growth and change in our whole life. Doctor Stephen Covey use expression “Sharpen the Saw”, which mean renew our self and keeps us fresh and open for blissful and happily life. In fresh or Healthy and Balanced state of body, mind and spirit we increase our capacity to produce and handle the challenges around us. Without this renewal, the body becomes weak, the mind mechanical, the emotions raw, the spirit insensitive, and the person selfish or cut off from whole interdependent system of internal happiness and knowledge. Not a pretty picture, is it?
Feeling good, healthy, balanced, enthusiastic etc doesn’t just happen by itself from nowhere. Living a life in healthy balance means taking the necessary actions and time to renew our self and come back to naturally Healthy and Balanced lifestyle. It’s all up to us. We can renew our self through relaxation. Or we can totally burn our self out by overdoing everything. We can pamper our self mentally and spiritually. Or we can go through life oblivious to our well-being. We can experience vibrant energy. Or we can procrastinate and miss out on the benefits of good and balanced health and exercise. We can revitalize our self and face a new day openly in peace and harmony. Or we can wake up in the morning full of apathy because our get-up-and-go has got-up-and-gone. Just let us remember that every day provides a new opportunity for renewal – a new opportunity to recharge our self instead of hitting the wall. All it takes is the our own desire, released knowledge, and skills on habitual level.
“Sow a thought and we reap an action; sow an act and we reap a habit;
sow a habit and we reap a character; sow a character and we reap a destiny.”
Emerson, Ralph Waldo
In general points, what can be helpful for our renew in each aspect of Balanced and Healthy lifestyle?
Few hours a week of renewing activities on regular base can make tremendous impacts on all our week and life in whole. During curse of time our regular renewing activities on day-to-day base deeply increases not only one prescribe aspect. Steadiness and regularity is real austerity and that increase our whole self determination, endurance, tolerance, steadiness, self respect etc. As we see in Figure 2, “Moving the fulcrum over” mean for example 30-40 minutes on day-to-day bases of regular hatha yoga, pranayama, exercise etc gradually cure and balance all others 23 hours of our day and grant not only clear mind, sharp intelligence, loving and soft heart, effulgent spirit, sound sleep. Regular 30-40 minutes hatha yoga, pranayama, exercise etc grant also power, wealth and economic development, fame, beauty and senses enjoyment, knowledge, renunciation and fulfilment of noble duties etc, because we are holistic beings and everything in us are interdependently connected within us and with all creation without us.
Physical health aspect renewing require on a regular basis balanced and healthy eating habits, food and diet, beneficial exercise, adequate relaxations and rest, appropriate weight, and proper stress management. In practical aspect that mean:
- Exercise: Hatha yoga, pranayama, exercise daily for 30-40 min – endurance, flexibility, strength etc in physical and all areas of our life
- Food: balanced and healthy eating culture, habits, food and diet – fruit, vegetables, cereals, milk products etc
- Drink enough water – generally adult subtle and grows physical body need intake on average 1.7 – 2.3 l water daily, around 11 cups of 200ml
- Stress management – relaxations, yoga, meditations, chanting of mantras, prayers etc
- Sleep and rest – at least regular sound sleep on average around 7 hours during of night from 9-10pm till 4-5am, depends from each and individual person
- Regular health checkups – at least every six month meet ones our personal holistic health doctor and dentist
- Healthy habits – cultivate Healthy and Balanced lifestyle Habits for long term life, study Healthy and Balanced lifestyle books, attend seminars, meet with teachers etc
In Emotional health aspect, we require on a regular basis self-supportive attitudes, positive thoughts and viewpoints, and a positive self-image. We also need to give and receive forgiveness, love and compassion; we need to laugh and experience happiness; we need joyful relationships with our self and others.
- Cultivate family relationships
- Care for old friend, build new friendships
- Continuously care for intimate relationships and invest regular activities in “positive bank balance”
- Value differences and look for synergies
- Celebrate festivals and take a holidays together
- Take each family member on a date
- Write letters, give calls to family and friend
In Professional health aspect, we require on a regular basis engage our professional abilities and talents in a way, which give individual fulfilment and benefits for others.
- Planning our activities in healthy and balanced mood in all four aspects: physical, emotional, professional and social activities
- Read, read, and read – about 12 books a year
- Visualising, paint, draw
- Continuous life and professional education
- Write prose, poetry, music
- Keep a dairy, journal
In Social health aspect, we require on a regular basis inner calmness, openness to our creativity, trust in our inner knowing, engage our devotional service desires, and having a relationship with a higher power.
- Engage in creative devotional services
- Create, review and refine our own Mission
- Value clarification
- Watch, listen, and observe nature
- Study spiritual literature and lives of grate people
- Build integrity
- Appreciate culture, music and art
- Religious devotional worship that uplifts
- Yoga, meditations, chanting of mantras, prayers etc
- Beware of TV, Radio, newspapers, magazines, internet – can be an open sewer into our home
Material prepared by BVG Janaka das – https://bhls.wordpress.com
Last changes was made: 9 Mar 2011